Car stuck at 8000rpm...in gear!

Gstraw

Had a scary moment a few days ago when I pulled out hard into a main road and redlined it then went to next gear and realised that the throttle was fully stuck open! Very scary indeed.

I had to pull to the side, clutch in and just switch the car off.

I thi k what happened was those extra bits you have hanging around when you remove the stock air box and put in a SRI got caught behind the throttle cable when I turned the corner!

Had a similar thing happen on the Trophy (avatar) many years ago. The top of the carburettor came unscrewed, due to wear in the retaining clip, and she went on full throttle. Overrevved before I could hit the kill switch and snapped the crankshaft. Luckily everything stayed inside the crankcases.

This happened to me when i collected an old citreon h van to take to our workshop, coming up to a junction, throttle jammed open, dumped the clutch, braked, this was when i found the brakes were useless, was standing practically with back braced against seat to get full force on brake pedal, the other one on the clutch and holding it straight while hoiking the handbrake up too - hairy moment on a downhill :lol:

Yep, was only doing 3-4k in 2nd when I went to change gear going up a hill but feck me it scared the hell out of me when the revs shot up and bounced off the limiter several times as it took a second or so to realise what the hell had happened. Shoved it into 6th to lower them lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.