which one should i use pink or red

Akuma77

ok well the new radiator has a 2 year guarantee with it , i dont know how long a new radiator should last and it is a bit more pricier for the pink but for the 5 years (does that mean the coolant will last that long or will you still have to replace every year ) if this is the case then shouldnt i go for the red (toyota say as long as you dont go with the green it should be fine.)

also is it better to go with the full concentrated one or premix ?

Edited by celica1977

Red or Pink?. This is a question that I've never seen a satisfactory answer to on CCUK.

I chose "Red" for two reasons. It was fitted at the factory, and I've heard the "Pink" can attack the Water Pump Gasket.

Here's the link..http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

Very polite guy, he even sent me a partial refund, as a small amount had seeped out into the bubble wrap during transit.

ok well the new radiator has a 2 year guarantee with it , i dont know how long a new radiator should last and it is a bit more pricier for the pink but for the 5 years (does that mean the coolant will last that long or will you still have to replace every year ) if this is the case then shouldnt i go for the red (toyota say as long as you dont go with the green it should be fine.)

also is it better to go with the full concentrated one or premix ?

A radiator should theoretically last the lifetime of the vehicle but due to stone damage and corrosion this is never the case.

Any anti freeze is better then straight water, anti freeze not only stops your water freezing but it also stops the corrosion inside your engine and it should never be used neat, your average anti freeze normally is mixed 50/50 but its always best to read the instructions first, depending on the mix depends on the freezing point of your coolant but be aware that some will come neat and some will come pre mixed.

A lot of people will swear by the Toyota life time coolant but I have not come across any evidence supporting any advantages of using this coolant nor have I come across anything supporting that using normal anti freeze is a disadvantage, the only one being the price.

The reason the manufacturers say to change your coolant periodically is down to the microscopic debris that is produced within your system, which might cause damage to your water pump, but even if you never change your coolant the chances are you will not have your car long enough before the water pump fails. If in doubt go with what the owners or work shop manual says. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

Red or pink is fine but shouldn't be used on pre 1990 cars as it is acid based and degrades silicone compounds used for sealing gaskets etc.

Whichever you use I would change every 2 years anyway as it flushes out debris from the system as you change it......all helps the cooling system to stay in good order.

For older cars use blue/green and change every 2 years.

ok thats great ( ithink i will take kevs advice and stick with red)

unfortunately the ebay ones i wont be able to get as they wont get delievered to me on time as i need it by the 2nd april ready for my mechanic to do the work on my car on the 3rd .

now i can either pay mr T full price at a local dealer which i believe is swindon or i can get it from motor parts direct :

which 5 litre bottle would you get from these guys ?

http://www.mpdonline.../coolant-fluids

Edited by celica1977

Red or Pink?. This is a question that I've never seen a satisfactory answer to on CCUK.

I chose "Red" for two reasons. It was fitted at the factory, and I've heard the "Pink" can attack the Water Pump Gasket.

Here's the link..http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

Very polite guy, he even sent me a partial refund, as a small amount had seeped out into the bubble wrap during transit.

yep ive read up soemwhere that pink was introduced around 2004 and i have a 2003 tsport, but it looks like he only has green left :(

or alternatively would it be ok to use a comma graded red coolant but if you got a concentrated version do you need to add any water to the mix?

Edited by celica1977

guys ive been private messaging kev on here and i have the details from MR T with our 10% club member discount :

Ive just rang fishbrothers in Swindon (probably my local to where I live and as im going shopping on Saturday it will be in my vicinity

Okay he said that they are trying to get people to change over to pink as its super long life but you can still use red long life as its is still very good

Now with membership with 10% with celica club :

Red 5ltr long life (not sure if it would be premixed or concentrated I forgot to ask lol )

22.95 including vat

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink super long life coolant 5 ltr again not sure if it would be premixed or concentrated I forgot to ask lol )

don't know if this helps but Eurocarparts red ( 5year) triple QX 5 litre works out @£12.73 using their EASTER25 code

. . . . . . . . .

TRIPLE QX Red Anti Freeze 5Ltr

Our High quality Red Antifreeze and Coolant has a powerful formula with 5 years protection for all seasons. It is suitable for any vehicle currently using Redantifreeze / coolant and meets GL12+ Standard. recommended by Car Mechanics Magazine who rated it on potency, heat capacity, versatility and value

• Triple QX Red Concentrate Antifreeze is an extended life, ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant providing effective heat transfer and all climates, year round performance meeting BS6580. It contains Organic Acid Inhibitor technology and is free from nitrates,

Can I add in here guys. I am doing a full service this weekend and got the red stuff from toyota as factory standard as per kev 16v.

Has anyone used water to the flush radiator and engine once drained before adding new coolant?. I have done this on vag engines before without any issues but they were shitty engines than what i have now :)

Thanks

Hi Guys,

we always recommend the Toyota Long Life Coolant (Red),

its the stuff it was designed to have when the vehicles came out from the factory

and its what we're always asked for by the GT4 owners as well as being the only stuff I will put in my ST205,

we keep it on the shelf at £17.94 + VAT

we do of course have a massive stock of parts in stock both new (pattern and genuine) and second hand

for the entire range of Celica so please think of ourselves when ordering parts or even if you just need some advice

with over 25 years of experience in the cars I'm sure we can help you out :)

Thank you

Paul (TCB Performance Parts LTD)

www.tcbparts.co.uk

01579 383879

Mon - Fri 8:30 - 5:00

Edited by Paul@TCB

Gen4's were filled with Toyota ForLife red coolant from the factory .The white '89 model I had for a while had the original ForLife sticker under the bonnet.Before that,then I would assume Brian is right with using the blue stuff for the real old skool cars now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.