Powder Coating Brake Calipers

MYK

Just a quick question regarding calipers and powder coating.

Figured the best way to get a good finish would be to powder coat my calipers and I have a brand new set arriving today.

If I get a brand new set powder coated are they going to need refurbishing straight away? Or are they safe to be powder coated?

I don't want to have just spent money on a brand new set to find they're shot before I put them on the car!

Anyone got any advice? :)

Thanks! :D

I imagine they'd have to be completely stripped down because the baking process would (presumably) damage the piston seals. If they're brand new then it should be viable to just put them back together using all the original parts once they've been done.

Interesting....

They are brand new - not refurbished. So if I just strip them down and remove everything, get tehm powder coated, and get them back and put them back together I should be ok?

I've never stripped brakes before, nor have I even got the calipers yet (though they should be at home when I get there). I'll have a look and see how I'd go about stripping them down :)

So brand new out of the box not shiney enough? :rolleyes:

Nurse!!!!! He's not been taking his tablets again. :nono:

Apologies MYK, I just can't keep up with you lot. I've never felt the desire to mod a thing apart from upgrade the sound system as a teenager. Now I have have gone and got a panel filter AND ordered a set a spacers in the same month. I need to lie down under a damp newspaper for a bit and calm down. The likes of you Cravo RoryK et al are warping my poor old mind.

Am genuinely interested in the calipers though as the brakes are the only achilles heel I can really find on the car. What have you gone for and why? Stock or upgrade? I shall be having mine checked shortly and anticipate a slide & piston grease, pads, braided hoses and fluids if lucky, plus discs and calipers if not. It could hurt! But not as much as not stopping.

It's all in my mod thread :)

I went for an upgrade. New 4 pot front calipers, 330mm discs up front. Full braided hoses all round, rear mtec grooved and dimpled discs, along with red stuff EBC pads.

new front discs will look like this... (stolen from serratia)...

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

Yep, seen those and dribbled. Would do something similar if I was doing track days but a bit more than enough for Sainsburys car park.

There'd be Tofu and beansprouts erupting from the sunroof!. I have saved mike collins number from Brake International as he responded to an enquiry. Have you used them before? I will just have to focus on servicing and saving for the next couple of months as I spent all the money buying her.

I'll confess to being surprised how much brake disc goes unused with that Wilwood conversion...! :o I know the larger diameter disc will provide more braking force but I'd have expected larger pads / calipers to make full use of the disc's surface area...

Yeah, clear fitting error, should have fitted the horizontally!

:doh:

I dont see how the position of the calipers would have made any difference in brake pad coverage on this as you can see the caliper is right onto the disc so would be the same anywhere as the disc is a circle....?

I'll confess to being surprised how much brake disc goes unused with that Wilwood conversion...! :o I know the larger diameter disc will provide more braking force but I'd have expected larger pads / calipers to make full use of the disc's surface area...

Unfortunately its the way the majority of larger brakes are. The calipers are much bigger than standard, with 4 pots which applies much more braking force. But. The edge of the disc is used to apply teh pressure and you get a levering kinda effect which applies much more force than standard size discs. If you look though once the wheels are on their isn't that much left to apply braking force to without going stupidly sized on the calipers :lol:

Apologies, sometimes tongue in cheek comments fail dismally. This is one of them.

Fitting horizontally in the nine o'clock position..................

a. physically impossible

b . stupid as the differing forces at each end of a skinny pad would probably wreck it.

I shall now go and crawl back under rock........................................... :blush:

It matters not how big the pads are as the same pressure is applied.

However for a given pad size the further out for the centre the force us applied the quicker you brake.

Try it. Get someone to spin a frizbee inbetween their fingers and then stop it with your finger tips near the edge and then near the middle. The latter requires much more effort :)

However for a given pad size the further out for the centre the force us applied the quicker you brake.

Try it. Get someone to spin a frizbee inbetween their fingers and then stop it with your finger tips near the edge and then near the middle. The latter requires much more effort :)

Excellent explanation sir !

Disc-brake-6.jpgSorry to hijack this thread, as per your quote, i understand the mechanics of this, yet what i am struggling with is why so much wasted unused surface area. The motorbike piccy above, to me, have it right, the vast array of styles whether functional or neccessary is left to the imagination. Whether this can be used in the car industry i havnt a clue, perhaps car weight and stress loading dictate it as a nono??? How many agree with me on this? Just think how much more paint or bling we could see behind the wheels instead of a solid lump of steel and a painted caliper.. ps I dont mean to belittle the origional post and piccy, they look very good, i just feel we or the industry could do better. :popcorn2: :popcorn2:

Dragon Queen. Hear Hear.

Njay. Precisely and also why DQ idea, losing all that irrelavant metal/weight makes sense. I guess it's a similar principle to pushing a door open with one finger. Easy by the handle, impossble by the hinge. But I didn't do physics so I couldn't explain leverage / energy stuff.lol Guess the way they are must be to do with the amount of energy they have to absorb stopping the weight of a car compared to stopping the weight of a bike.

Disc-brake-6.jpgSorry to hijack this thread, as per your quote, i understand the mechanics of this, yet what i am struggling with is why so much wasted unused surface area. The motorbike piccy above, to me, have it right, the vast array of styles whether functional or neccessary is left to the imagination. Whether this can be used in the car industry i havnt a clue, perhaps car weight and stress loading dictate it as a nono??? How many agree with me on this? Just think how much more paint or bling we could see behind the wheels instead of a solid lump of steel and a painted caliper.. ps I dont mean to belittle the origional post and piccy, they look very good, i just feel we or the industry could do better. :popcorn2: :popcorn2:

I have no idea :lol: I don't make the kits :lol:

So everyone thinks it can be done. But how do I go about removing the seals? And is it just the seals I need to remove?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.