New MOT Regs as of 20th March

mbailey

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't got them, you don't need them. If you have got them, they must work. That's what it currently is and that's what it's regarding on that bit of paper.

Like said before, the only thing that would fail HID's in an MOT is the beam pattern and colour. If putting them into reflectors (causing a blurry beam pattern) or have anything over 8000k then you'll probably fail.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting HID's into projector headlights with a decent temperature (4300k or 5000k). They're not blinding and don't look aftermarket.

If anyone has blinding HID lights they're putting them into reflectors, or have 55W 8000k's. HID's doesn't instantly mean 'blinding'.

....I love mine :3

Dude, do you have the whole document? I would love to see the changes for commercial type vehicles too as I developed an asset maintenance system for our software and part of it includes MOT's on commercial vehicles, but I can't find the document anywhere! Cheers! :D

Hmm now Im slightly nervous with my VSC light again. You cant remove the bulb because if the tester knows that your car should have VSC and the light doesnt come on on start up then its a fail.

• 5 weeks later...

My HIDS 'failed' my mot. I argued the point with three staff at the garage relating to the wording of the new regulations. But what p#sses me off is the reasons for refusal :

001 Front headlamp cleaning device inoperative

002 Front headlamp levelling device inoperative

The car doesnt have a cleaning device so how can it be inoperative and the levelling device that is fitted works !???

So currently have no MOT grrrr

My HIDS 'failed' my mot. I argued the point with three staff at the garage relating to the wording of the new regulations. But what p#sses me off is the reasons for refusal :

The car doesnt have a cleaning device so how can it be inoperative and the levelling device that is fitted works !???

Failing a device for being inoperative when it isn't (or doesn't have to be) fitted is illegal.

Tell the garage you're going to leave it with them to fix the levellers and washers :lol:

Hahaha never thought of that one!

Failing a device for being inoperative when it isn't (or doesn't have to be) fitted is illegal.

Really?? Never knew that.

Would personally ask how they are inoperative?, what about them doesn't work? as if they are not fitted, they cannot by definition be inoperative!

Yeah I think I got that point across but they were sticking to their guns.

To use the official vernacular,that is utter bollocks.You cannot be failed on an item that is not fitted on the vehicle.If the car SHOULD have an item fitted and it doesn't,then the MOT tester may have a point but is being an utter prick if the above is accurate,and is also completely wrong.

Find another MOT tester that isn't a c***t.

Edited by thesherv

when it comes to HID kits you can have them fitted. it will only fail if there is no pattern if the auto level doesn't work or it the factory fitted (or aftermarket) washer jets and blades don't work.

if you don't have any of the headlight washers or wiper blades then all you need to have is a pattern. went to VOSA myself to find that out..

I'd report the guy, he clearly isn't capable of conducting an MOT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.