what have you done to your celica today...

scott64

1 hour ago, G.Lewarne said:

Well, stage 1 is nearly complete!

She may not be the prettiest, most powerful, sexiest Celica, but she sure is

1) Completely Rust free

2) Completely New / Rebuilt Suspension and Steering - every component

3) Completely new brakes

4) Fully aligned

5) Totally safe and amazing

:D

Stage 2 - all the bodywork dings and scratches comes after :)

so mate how much did all that cost you approximately for all of the above :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, celica1977 said:

so mate how much did all that cost you approximately for all of the above :)

wow, that's quite the question, lets see if I can remember!

Front specific:

- Shocks x2 £110

- Bumpstops and shock boots x2 £25

- Wishbones x2 £90

- Balljoints x2 £30

- Topmounts x2 £90

- Droplinks x2 £25

- Track rod ends x2 £30

- Inner tie rods x2 £30

- Calipers x2 (re-manufactured) + sliders+boots £110

- Discs and pads £70

- ARB bushes x2 £10

Rear: Specific

- Shocks x2 £90

- Shock upper rubber mounts x2 £20

- Trailing arms + hub carriers x2 between me and AMS :)

- Droplinks x2 £30

- ARB bushes x2 £10

- Wheel bearing / hub units x2 £45

- Brand new calipers inc sliders + bolts £110

- Discs and pads £50

- Handbrake shoes £17 + fitting kit £10

- New rear subframe £170

- Camber arms x2 between me and AMS :)

- New camber bolts, complete set x2 - £60

- New *other* suspension bolts £30

All round:

- Lowering springs, AMAX, £37

- Full geometry alignment £39

Engine:

- AC Compressor - from AMS, don't remember price

- AC Re-Gas £35

- Radiator £75

- Water pump £35

- Serpentine tensioner spring + pulley + belt £35

- Pre and Post CAT Denso lambda sensors, £56 each

- Exhaust back box

- New Denso MAF

- Coolant Temp Sensor

+ usual service bits

Probably missed a lot of stuff out :D

Every part, other than those supplied by AMS is brand new.  All work carried out by myself, apart from the AC re-gas and alignment.  Most of the new parts are from only three suppliers so all quality stuff.  Generally Delphi, ADL Blueprint and Solid Ace.  Others are Toyota OEM or whatever ImportCarParts supply, which is always good quality.  Radiator was the Koyorad from ECP

pretty sure ill straight pass my upcoming MOT.  If I even get one advisory I will eat Daytona's hat

Edited by G.Lewarne
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomb said:

If you would rather a carbon fibre (not dipped weave) L piece I will have mine up for grabs shortly, will need a some cleaning etc though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may take you up on that. I have (another) Carbon Spark plug cover coming from Ray (somehow lost the other I bought, I expect to find it after I fit the replacement) but I was doing searches for Carbon fibre engine covers as it seemed they were available when the Gen7 was new, or at least still in production.

New bonnet badge to blend with the colour scheme a bit better.

5b3738ba16dea439f0e3a13b27ffd6fe.jpg

Love love love love love those wheels what are they!!!!

New bonnet badge to blend with the colour scheme a bit better.

5b3738ba16dea439f0e3a13b27ffd6fe.jpg

18" solar gold bola wheels from wheelbase alloys, had them on my last Celica to replace the stock 16s absolutely love them lucky they go with the new colour

18" solar gold bola wheels from wheelbase alloys, had them on my last Celica to replace the stock 16s absolutely love them lucky they go with the new colour

2 hours ago, G.Lewarne said:

wow, that's quite the question, lets see if I can remember!

Front specific:

- Shocks x2 £110

- Bumpstops and shock boots x2 £25

- Wishbones x2 £90

- Balljoints x2 £30

- Topmounts x2 £90

- Droplinks x2 £25

- Track rod ends x2 £30

- Inner tie rods x2 £30

- Calipers x2 (re-manufactured) + sliders+boots £110

- Discs and pads £70

- ARB bushes x2 £10

Rear: Specific

- Shocks x2 £90

- Shock upper rubber mounts x2 £20

- Trailing arms + hub carriers x2 between me and AMS :)

- Droplinks x2 £30

- ARB bushes x2 £10

- Wheel bearing / hub units x2 £45

- Brand new calipers inc sliders + bolts £110

- Discs and pads £50

- Handbrake shoes £17 + fitting kit £10

- New rear subframe £170

- Camber arms x2 between me and AMS :)

- New camber bolts, complete set x2 - £60

- New *other* suspension bolts £30

All round:

- Lowering springs, AMAX, £37

- Full geometry alignment £39

Engine:

- AC Compressor - from AMS, don't remember price

- AC Re-Gas £35

- Radiator £75

- Water pump £35

- Serpentine tensioner spring + pulley + belt £35

- Pre and Post CAT Denso lambda sensors, £56 each

- Exhaust back box

- New Denso MAF

- Coolant Temp Sensor

+ usual service bits

Probably missed a lot of stuff out :D

Every part, other than those supplied by AMS is brand new.  All work carried out by myself, apart from the AC re-gas and alignment.  Most of the new parts are from only three suppliers so all quality stuff.  Generally Delphi, ADL Blueprint and Solid Ace.  Others are Toyota OEM or whatever ImportCarParts supply, which is always good quality.  Radiator was the Koyorad from ECP

pretty sure ill straight pass my upcoming MOT.  If I even get one advisory I will eat Daytona's hat

blimey quite a shopping list , mine wont be as big as that but it will feel different to how it does now ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, celica1977 said:

blimey quite a shopping list , mine wont be as big as that but it will feel different to how it does now ....

yeah, like I said, mine may not be the prettiest or fastest, but she is definitely well built now.  My intention is to have one of the best stock mechanical cars for shows and meets.  Bodywork comes later.  This is my first car that isn't made of rust and hope...so I'm looking after it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tombrady said:

Got it painted finally.
077be95833c237f11fcdce0c099a62d9.jpg

Got it painted finally.
077be95833c237f11fcdce0c099a62d9.jpg

I don't know if would have the patience for a respray... If I saw my car like this, with a shiny new paint job, I would be thinking "Put it back together! Put it back together now! It's dry enough!" and so on.

In fact I am thinking the same about this picture and it's not even my car :D

YES!  YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111oneone

I just fixed my super-annoying boot area popping noise.  Has been doing my head in for months!

Finally got someone in the back listening, and we identified that my high level brake light was the cause.  Unbolted it, bit of self adhesive velco underneath, bolted back up, ziptied its cable a bit more taught......BOOM NOISE GONE

Out of all the work ive done to my car, that has made me the happiest, LOL

• Like 2

I just fixed my super-annoying boot area popping noise.  Has been doing my head in for months!

Finally got someone in the back listening, and we identified that my high level brake light was the cause.  Unbolted it, bit of self adhesive velco underneath, bolted back up, ziptied its cable a bit more taught......BOOM NOISE GONE

Oh how we all differ!!! I have an intermittent tyre squeak from the spare in the boot. All that I need to do is empty all of the crap out of the boot, lift to the carpet, reposition the wheel and tighten it down properly. The last person to put the spare back didn't fit it properly. The odd  squeak or rattle doesn't faze me, so it's been like that for a year or more and 9/10 trips are only a couple of miles. If it is in squeaky mood I open the window, open the moon roof, turn up the stereo or the Invidia or a combination thereof, whichever is likely to make me smile most. So there you have it............To me an irritating squeak equals have more fun! :lol:

• Like 1

I thought the high level was bonded in place? 

given the RA28 a quick going over earlier in the wek - decided to sort out the staring issue. had my trusty mechanic on the case which ended up needing a new starter solenoid.

Manage to track a potential replacement (second hand one) between us and it's on and starting. Got to love 40yr old cars and trying to find parts!

Still - at least I'm able to get over to Pendle PowerFest on sunday if anyone in the Greater Manchester area fancies a family friendly car show!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, planc said:

I thought the high level was bonded in place? 

look at the underside of the hatch.  there are two rubber grommets, one with cable going through.  10mm nuts underneath those, pops right out

On 2017-5-25 at 09:20, Freeman558 said:

De-Butterfly and Panel Filter was about the first thing I did with my car, didn't notice much of a change in noise with the stock exhaust, if I am honest.
Did the SRI have much effect on your insurance?
I'm holding off doing anything else that might affect my insurance as I am expecting a nasty speeding ticket any day now after a triggering a camera last Thursday :(

Hi,

If you do ever need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Got my tints done finally [emoji16]today, loved them on my 140 so couldn't wait to get them done on the 190 63c03620088452b93c2c683ea2a6cf4b.jpg0d2b4ac6e1d3cf685a8a64c436461cc3.jpg

Got my tints done finally [emoji16]today, loved them on my 140 so couldn't wait to get them done on the 190 63c03620088452b93c2c683ea2a6cf4b.jpg0d2b4ac6e1d3cf685a8a64c436461cc3.jpg

• Like 2

Fixed and cleaned up minor gearbox oil leak at the drain plug.  Obviously also did gearbox oil at same time.  Used a new sealing washer, and filled with Comma 75w90 GL4 oil

What came out was golden syrup colour so not actually too bad really.  But since I didn't know the history of the car figured may as well do the oil at these miles

Job took about 15 mins, no jacking required

EDIT:  Wow!  so much better!  smoother gear changes, box is quieter, and the odd noise I thought I was occasionally getting from my release bearing is gone

Edited by G.Lewarne

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.