Gearbox issues

kittii13

My gearbox has steadily been going downhill since we got the car and for a few months its struggled to get into reverse first time, but today while driving its having issues getting into all gears, especially 2nd gear. I really have to force it and it crunches a little. I know I need a new gearbox and clutch but how long have I got til its completely dead and undrivable?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the clutch has needed doing since I got the car so yes it is that aswell. Will replace both the clutch and the gearbox when I can. The clutch actually feels normal, well as normal as it can do for a 22 year old car. Not sure how to describe it but over the last few months it has been getting slightly looser, like its much easier to push down, but it was worse than that a year ago, Bek drained the clutch fluid and replaced it which really helped but that was ages ago now. Its only recently Ive been struggling to get it into gear, I always have to take it out of reverse and try it again.

I have no idea what a slave cylinder is, remember Im still a newbie when it comes to stuff like this lol

Btw, Dave says it is the gearbox so Im just going on what he says

Il get Dave to check it out after work tomorow. Would that affect the gears aswell as the clutch? I cant really describe what happens when changin gear. Its kinda like a lump, the gearstick gets halfway into gear then its like theres something stopping it going fully in and i really have to pull it. Could the fact I dont drive very often have something to do with it?

Il get Dave to check it out after work tomorow. Would that affect the gears aswell as the clutch? I cant really describe what happens when changin gear. Its kinda like a lump, the gearstick gets halfway into gear then its like theres something stopping it going fully in and i really have to pull it. Could the fact I dont drive very often have something to do with it?

what's the clutch bite like?at the top or biting low?

It does sound to me like it's the clutch not disengaging fully...........

It sounds like you are "dragging" it out of one gear in to another........if the master or slave cylinder is on it's way out then it won't push the rod fully to disengage the clutch.....this means the car is almost still in drive when you try to change gear and it "sticks" in the gear it's in rather then releasing it nicely and allowing you to engage the next gear.

It's very easy to check if the pushrod is operating correctly as others have said previously..........worth checking first!

Good luck! :)

the clutch needed replacing when we bought it, i guess it just really needs replacing now!

il ask dave to start saving :)

thanks peeps, huge relief that its prob not the gearbox

celica gearboxes are pretty strong and if they go its usually the 3rd gear syncro and i would bet my life thats people driving along in 3rd with their hand on the gearstick ;)

it is still agood idea to see if any fluid is leaking anywhere aswell

"doubt its a hydraulic issue or it would be getting worse by the day"

Hmmm.......Kitti says it started recently and is getting worse..........would be easy to tell if we were sat in the car!!

she also mentioned that the clutch has needed changing for a long while now, so it might just be sticking and slipping all over the place :(

I have had clutches give up and still able to engage gears but get no drive and also clutches go that just wont engage any gear at all :(

yeah it is getting worse. started off with just reverse gear a few months ago ( i say a few months ago but its likely to be longer as i only passed my test in april so didnt drive very much before then) not wanting to go into gear occasionally, then it wouldnt go into gear first time at all, but since today every gear is doing it everytime i change gear. happens both when going up gear and going down gear

Mine does it in reverse sometimes. I usually just take my foot off the clutch, put it in 1st then try going back to reverse have you tried doing the same?

My clutch was only changed 33k ago too haha

yes thats the way i get it to go into gear, i have to do that or i cant drive it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.