Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Just to make people aware when they visit this "Fine" County of Norfolk, that the local Highway plod are cracking down on aftermarket exhaust systems on cars.

Just been pulled because they "thought " my exhausts looked loud.

Had to go the the local plod station for a roadside test.

The test was conducted with a dB meter placed 20cm from the ground and 50cm away from the tail pipe and at 45° to the car. in accordance with ISO5130

tick over was 78.6db :D

Then they do 3 tests with the car at 3/4 revs which equated to 5250 RPM on the Celica

as I have twin pipes (one each side of the car) they had to do the test twice then average it out.

Result 94.1dB

The legal limit for a UK car is 82dB :(

So, I now have a £30 fine to pay and then get my exhausts sorted out, which means either........

1. New std system system ? far too expensive and spoil the characterof the car

2. New aftermarket system ? still a lot of dosh to do.

or

3. strip my current system down and re-pack it then weld it back up. if it can be done that is.

I am not a happy bunny :angry:

Oh and apparently this will be brought into the MOT in a few years time according to Plod :lol:

P1010150.jpg

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Not really, results are results, Just pi$$ed off that they had nothing better to do on a sunny day, Especially when 8 miles up the road there is the Touring Car championship going on at Snetterton and they could have been there.

Have you checked the vosa mot book? I'd want written proof to say its illegal, not an opinion. My gen5 had a noisy back box and passed the mot no problems. Don't give into them mate, go on vosa site and confirm it

I don't really like noisy exhausts, but fuck me, talk about taking all the fun out of something. What happens if you have a classic car...they are usually pretty noisy....or a Ferarri etc. we will all be forced to drive Prius's soon.

I nearly got run over by one of those bloody 'priarses' in silent mode on Saturday, at least a noisy exhaust will make people plugged into their effing iPods etc wake up and notice you before stepping out in the road.'

I nearly got run over by one of those bloody 'priarses' in silent mode on Saturday, at least a noisy exhaust will make people plugged into their effing iPods etc wake up and notice you before stepping out in the road.'

to be fair, you should always look before stepping into the road. Basic stuff.

I was driving through my town at legal limits in 5th gear,not much over 1500 RPM , they were going in the other direction and did a U turn to follow me about 2 miles through a 30 mph limit. I made sure I was sitting at 28MPH all the way.

mine failed mot twice last year on the exhaust being to loud. put it in this year and it passed,same garage new tester who is a biker its down to the mot testers discretion on if an exhaust is to loud. i have a full powerflow on my gen6

Deffo your bum......

By the way Monkey, I like your rear end as well.......... Do like the twin pipes.....

Thanks mate. Not seen another Gen 6 with this exhaust set up. It too is a Powerflow system. Would be a shame to have to change it to a single pipe as I too like the twin set-up

The thing that really got me is that I wasn't driving like a pillock either. I wouldn't have minded so much if I was, but I was just pootling around

Maybe they should crack down on motorbikes with stupidly noisey exhausts....

Haha, I asked them that question and as the test has to be done 30cm above ground level, motorcycles cannot be tested using their equipment unless the exhausts are low level like in classic or vintage bikes, which are too old to check.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.