Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Well, I for one am pleased the police are on the case and continuing their war on the motorist (well the ones they can catch easily) I mean at least they're keeping themselves busy, spending our hard earned public money wisely, god, what else would they be doing if we weren't around, maybe they would have found that poor girls body a week earlier if they were doing real policing!!! they may even be able to police our town centre's on a Friday and Saturday night a bit more efficiently, or catching the robbers, muggers and rapists who roam our streets, or what about the bloke who nicked your car? bet they're scouring the streets high and low for him!!!! bloody inconsiderate of you to tie them up with your noisy exhaust, you should be ashamed of yourself.

We really do need a like button

Local police in the Berwickshire area are very hot on this subject as well. One of the reasons I don't have an aftermarket exhaust. They do tend to target the younger element though and definitely the chavs. Young lad at my local tyre fitting shop just got done like the OP in his Glanza.

I still haven't seen Amy definitive wording on the law that states 82db.

Most new cars and diesels are over that.

Last thing I read was it cant be excessively louder than the manufacturermade it

Unless sleepy Norfolk has introduced a by law

It's a case of you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't because if you fight it you might find they start getting more arsy with you and force you to do something about it, and if you leave it they might just let it fly. But if it happens again I'd be more prepared to try and fight it. Fund out if by law if you request proof their vehicles are within the limit they have to comply or not. Also see if you can fid out Toyota's standard exhaust db reading should be and find out if your exhaust is within that reading because yeah something like a Ferrari or Lambo which have probably around 90-100db exhausts should be getting fined all day long

Plus I'd be contesting them revving the nuts off my car for a stupid test like that, how often do you drive near redline in your car? Well unless you're doing 30mph in 1st gear everywhere :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan23

After talking to some of the NVH guys at work they said that the noise is all down to the frequency, and flow of the exhaust gasses. One thing I will try and it is at little cost is blankiing off the LHS pipe where it branches out from the main pipe. The turbulance caused by the branch could be making the exhaust louder than it should be. Cutting open the silencer and adding some packing will probably do nothing to the dB rating, but may cut the higher frequency noise out.

~ As a note, a replacement patttern silencer for any vehicle will probably be louder than a Factory fitted system due yo the materials used, wall thickness of pipe and the pipe routing through the silencer box. Again talking to the HVH guys, they had a SAAB exh. system which they removed and replaced with an aftermarket system made by and for a new engineering client of ours. dimensionally it was as near identicle to the original, but weighed in at 2.5Kg lighter. (thinner materials and piping within the silencer boxes)

Also, the noise tests we do at work are "drive by" tests with the engine under load, this also takes into account the wind and tyre noise and I don't have the exact figure yet but it is in excess of Plods 82dB.

It's good to know the inconcistancies and variations of noise tests and the manufacturers specifications. I know this is to the extreme, but Ferrari have a "Track pack" silencer for their California. This is rated for 118dB. (illegal to use on nearly all the UK tracks). and also a Mk1 Lotus Elise cannot be tested using the Police methods as the end of the silencer is too high for their test instuments to reach. :lol:

More a question here...

For those that are saying this ISNT law.

The police note that monkey boy was given states on the bottom that vehicles shouldn't exceed 82dB. This isn't hand written. This is typed. They have these forms made up. So somewhere it must be law that that's the case surely?

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just pointing out that. Mine's probably louder than that. Just wondering why they have forms printed like that if their isn't a law..

Hmmm, I had thought of that. I wonder how or if you can check to see if there is a Police marker on your vehicle ?

If I do get pulled up again for another motoring offence I can always say that I spend more time looking in my rear view mirror that i do looking ahead due to the BIB putting a marker on my car :D

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/55/made

take a read at this, turns out the law was changed in 2011. im guessing you could get round that if your system was fitted before then, since you cannot be retrospectivly punished for something that was legal at the time of paying

I'm not changing mine anyways illegal or not lol. HID's are illegal if retro fitted but they don't stop everyone for them. The world's gone mad dammit :(

was speaking to Chan today and let him hear my asbo. then told him it was designed to be quiet at idle and around town and to look like a standard exhuast. and mines is about 100db especially at 5200rpm.

personally i would object to repeated revving of my car like that especially stationary since it could cause damage to the engine

Sounds exactly like when i got pulled. "your exhaust looks loud" comment then out with the DB meter. didn't get a fine though and never bothered to change the system. Exhausts out the bonnet seem to be the answer ...test that then you bast@rds!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.