Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Work have just told me that I might have to go an do a job in Norfolk next week.. hmm could prove interesting if I take the Gen6!

Might have to print out this entire thread and take it with me in case I get stopped.

I guess if I get pulled by the 'noise police' I'll just have to be polite and take some notes such as:

Collar numbers, positioning of any testing devices, ambient conditions (weather and traffic).

Also a pre-prepared document for the testing officer to sign that any damage caused to my engine by their test of revving my engine in neutral at XXXXrpm is their responsibility.

I'm tempted to get a train over and taxi to the site from my hotel - but don't fancy the costs of that!

I've taken an officer to court before now for him issuing a £30 fine for my exhaust which was to loud, he had no meter to measure the noise and said yea that's too loud.... No test, nothing.

I knew it was legal and had a proper noise test performed and had the db on paper

Off to court we go, here is the paperwork your honor of an official exhaust noise test as it clearly states the exhaust on this vehicle is well below the legal limit

Officer told to pay me the fine + my expenses and also court cost on him, job done :)

Now don't get me wrong I'm not against the plod, 90% of the officers I've met are very nice and easy to talk to........ It's just that 10%

Edited by KeoGT
  • Like 1

What is the legal limit for a stationary test ? I know what VOSA quote, but is that the legal limit? I also know what the Construction & use regs state, but that is a Drive by test, not a Stationary one. I also know what the Police like to think is the legal limit, but they don't seem to have a clue, and they are the ones who are meant to uphold the law.

Where did you get your exhaust tested Keo ?

I also not that you too are in Norfolk, not too far from me. Is this exhaust thing just a Norfolk thing ? :blink:

Where did you get your exhaust tested Keo ?

I also not that you too are in Norfolk, not too far from me. Is this exhaust thing just a Norfolk thing ? :blink:

Just took it to an mot station so that an official reading could be taken an put on paper, it happened to me when I had my old Audi a3 I was on the a11 going past wymondham

Yea I thought u were in Norfolk somewhere, where abouts fella?

I think it is pretty much a Norfolk thing because of all of the sleepy little villages on these flat lands

Edited by KeoGT

I'm in Attleborough.

Interesting fact is that an MOT station is not an official designated place to check for noise. Not part of the MOT regs. I'm surprised that Plod, nor the Magistrate picked up on that, but fair play to you for standing up in court . That's two cases lost by Norfolk Plod for the same thing :D

Apparently it was because that was the only way 'I could have known it was illegal/not illegal' and because the plod didn't perform a road side or official test it was enough

Attleborough u say? I was in attleborough on Saturday I met up with Esthar_city to have a play with my spoiler brake light

Edited by KeoGT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.