How can a car display a later reg plate than its date of manufacture?

Sherv

Does anyone know how does the DVLA determine what plate/year to give to a imported car?

Coz I don't think there is anything on my car or documentations that states the month/year of registeration.

Apart from LOG book and online services (DVLA) - how does one determine the registration of a UK car?

Yeah.

When a car is imported from Japan, the owner fills out form to register it.

Form includes space for year of manufacture.

That form is backed up by the English Translated Deregistration Certificate from Japan.

The form SHOULD say the same year of manufacture as noted on the Dereg Cert.

Some folks make a mistake, some folks blag it, some folks are just thick at filling in forms, sometimes the dvla make the mistake.

Various reasons for year of manufacture being different from year of registration.

I imported a 1990 Delica, filled out forms correctly, came back an X reg (year 2000).

Can only assume the operator saw the zero at the end and gave it a 2000 registration.

Queried the X reg at the desk when I collected the docs and tax disc.

Got told it's done now and nothing can be done about it.

Actually, you CAN have it changed but it is a more hassle and paperwork.

There are some folks that de-register their Private Conveyances altogether, but that's a whole different kettle of herring altogether.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.