How can a car display a later reg plate than its date of manufacture?

Sherv

Ade found this car for sale near him.Its a 97 gen6 but has a 52 registration?I was under the impression you cant display a plate thats younger than the cars date of manufacture.DVLA says 'first registration 2002' though but date of manufacture 1997?Hows that work,even with imports theyre allocated a plate for the right year..?

Vehicle enquiry

The enquiry is complete.The vehicle details for LB52 XNS are: Date of Liability 01 01 2013 Date of First Registration 01 11 2002 Year of Manufacture 1997 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2000cc CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type PETROL Export Marker N Vehicle Status Licence Not Due Vehicle Colour SILVER Vehicle Type Approval Not Available Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £121.00 12 Months Rate £220.00

Please be aware that if the vehicle has recently been relicensed or a SORN declared, these details may not yet be updated on the vehicle record.

If you think that the details on the vehicle record are incorrect please write to:VCSDVLASwanseaSA99 1BAPlease include the incorrect V5C Registration Certificate for amendment.

The car

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-celica/108224199

Doesnt make sense to me.Owner says its a 202.

Dont get this,unless im missing something :huh:

Usually this happens when a car sits on a main dealers forecourt unregistered and finally when they sell it they register it as a new car because basically it is so it gets given a ......... (put year in) plate. Don't think it matters what year it's made it's what year it's registered that counts

Makes sense that Dan BUT the seller says its a UK car he thinks it that's what he was told , it came from Ireland its got 186000 on the click but he says the clocks at kph and it looks weird a gen 6 basically with a gen 7 plate

Edited by AdyGT

Makes sense that Dan BUT the seller says its a UK car he thinks it that's what he was told , it came from Ireland its got 186000 on the click but he says the clocks at kph and it looks weird a gen 6 basically with a gen 7 plate

now that really doesnt add up :shrug:

nice looking car though

front bumper is UK as it has washers..

looks like it has euro riser blocks fitted..

Could have had a bumper change at some point. I have heard of import cars getting plates way above their year of manufacture, it's the Dvla getting it wrong with first registration and year of import

I haven't seen it in the metal so unsure myself just thought it was a real mix of the celica and the owner hasn't had it long , a couple of months he's said its been lowered and drives nice but thought its weird as he doesn't really know what he's got there all he knows is its a Toyota celica

Yea sometimes the DVLA fuck up during import so just give it whatever. It happened to someone who imported something Ford, back in my Ford days

Yeah, maybe like my imported car!

Ade says its a facelift model - so, I guess it should be a F-Plate (from Aug 1988)

But, the DVLA insist it is an E-Plate.

Documentations that indicate lots of dates for pre-Aug1988, but can't find anything about when it was actually registered :(

20120712_125918.jpg

had a quick look at that car tonight and spoke to the owner from what i can work out is that it spent 5 years in ireland , and looking at the log book it came here in 2002 and on the logbook it states previously owned overseas maybe they had a private plate on it before i came here , the last owner had it from 2002 till about 2 to 3 months ago when this owner bought it ,i know hes not owned it long,bit suspect to me however heres a couple of pics of the clocks and plates and engine bay...the owner states he didnt want to clean the engine bay as it looks suspect when selling ,oh yeah its filthy the owner states its been well looked after but to be honest i saw no receipts for this car after 1999 so yeah well looked after

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

Does anyone know how does the DVLA determine what plate/year to give to a imported car?

Coz I don't think there is anything on my car or documentations that states the month/year of registeration.

Apart from LOG book and online services (DVLA) - how does one determine the registration of a UK car?

That's Made, NOT registered.....

Oh sorry I miss read what you put lol I believe only the dealer can say when it's registered unless its imported and Dvla screw up. But like you say it usually says on the log book. You can probably do a HPI check and it will say when it was registered over seas then when it was registered here.

Oh sorry I miss read what you put lol I believe only the dealer can say when it's registered unless its imported and Dvla screw up. But like you say it usually says on the log book. You can probably do a HPI check and it will say when it was registered over seas then when it was registered here.

But, wouldn't the HPI information come from the DVLA (who screw up in the 1st place)?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.