Celica Club UK Messages

Website Downtime Notice

Click here for more information

Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter M

140 -> 190 -> ???

Question

Guest Peter M

Does anyone know what the Toyota roadmap is for the Celica, are there any more variants planned, or is it DIY next :D

6 answers to this question

One (possible) clue is that Toyota are v. hot on performance versions that 'tie-in' with their motorracing programmes. (i.e. when Toyota contested the WRC, there was the Celica Carlos GT4 named after Carlos Sainz, etc). With TTE responsible for marketing any off-shoots from the Toyota F1 team, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few 'limited editions' somewhere down the line.

The chances are though that it'll be purely cosmetic - i.e., red/white livery etc - but that said, in the past they've included performance mods as well. If you check out the Toyota F1 site, TTE (who make quite a few aftermarket mods for stock toyotas) are the major players in Europe for the development of their F1 car. From here on, I reckon it's down to their marketing department.

Originally posted by CelicaUK

I believe that so far the word from Toyota is that there will be no more performance versions of the Celica

So what do you call the Celica Turbo, V6 MR2 and the 400bhp+ Turbo Charged MR2 from TTE then :D

OK the last two aren't Celicas but if they can shoe horn a v6 into an MR2 or put a huge Turbo on it then surely they can do the same on the celica (diff pinion permitting eh Simon)

Has anyone else read the article or I am just hallucinating ?(

Guest Jonny Turbo

no you're not halucinating. These were showcases.

But I don't see either of the mr2 versions going into production as the v6 would be in boxster teritory and the turbo was too wild.

I couldn't personally see the point of the turbo Celica as the bhp was similar to the 190.

I think the point would be the power curve... I would love to have some of the low-down grunt a Turbo has on my celica. I do miss that.

That said, there's nothing like doing 7000 revs and not-yet-changing-up to scare seven shades of shtuff out of your passengers!!!

But the main reason it would be unlikely to appear, is marketing. They'd find it difficult to sell a "new" celica with a similar existing BHP - to the man on the street, they wouldn't understand the difference.

Stephen

The general manager of Toyota New Dev who they interviewed said the v6 mR2 was this summer. Sound likes it wasn't just a showcase to me.

And I agree with Stephen on the 200Bhp Turbo versus the 190 screamm like a banshee. The BHP is more or less the same but the Torque curve which is what really matters will hit the high point earlier and for longer and so it will have far more usability.

As to selling I'm sure if the badge on the back said Turbo it would sell to Joe Public as they wouldn't even think of comparing BHP :D

Guest Ninja

I haven't got around to nipping to my local dealer and test driving a new Celica 190 so i haven't got a lcue what they are like to drive.

I am dissapointed (even though i am not a 4WD fan) that Toyota won't be producing a Celica Turbo to replace the marvelous ST205 ;(

Sign in to follow this