are gen 7s really that bad?

so i have been looking at gen 7s esp the gt as a option for my next car,but i am a little put off if im honest by some off the things ive heard on here about them getting alot problems,i know there not as well built as the gen 6 but surely they cant be that bad can they? i mean i always thought compared to alot of other new motors they ok?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO No they aint that bad really. Esp if you lookin at a gt as most of them are still fairly new! Iv had two g7s one 140 and nw a gt never had any issues at all! As long as they have bin well looked after I.e full toyota history etc or low mileage then you will be fine! I don't even see many at work with issues. The 140s burnt oil but you won't have tht issue with a gt being the 190 engine. For how many people that have them, a few on here have had a few horror stories but it will seem that way as they all want advice, but on a whole they run ok! Pay decent money for a minter defo worth it. As you will always as with anything 'get what you pay for!'

Edited by lordys_gen7

Why you leaving the gen 6 clan!?

dont really want to but have spoke with a few people and they say that at 174k on the clock maybe its time to move on as i use my car alot and do about 15k miles a year,i could throw a load of money at my gt but would it really be worth spending over a grand on a car thats 14 years old nearly and done so many miles,even izzy said i should think about moving on a while ago,would like a gt4 but gonna be in same boat with age of the car if not older,so only leaves the gen 7 gt,not much choice really if i wanna stay in the celica fold :(

lordys im guessing your a toyota mechanic?

Edited by looney

Put a new engine in then and it'll be a new car again! :xmas_tongue:

thats what i was maybe thinking of doing,maybe take it to somewhere like tr+d and see what they could do,they might be able to get few more bhp out of the standerd lump if i go for a rebuild,who thinks id be stupid for doing that tho when for same money i could prob get gt4

so i have been looking at gen 7s esp the gt as a option for my next car,but i am a little put off if im honest by some off the things ive heard on here about them getting alot problems,i know there not as well built as the gen 6 but surely they cant be that bad can they? i mean i always thought compared to alot of other new motors they ok?

There is nothing bad about the Gen7. Great carsI

I have had mine for 7 years and the only iffy bit has been the brakes, but I didn't get the brake fluid changed till recently.

The brakes are basic and any moisture causes sticky pistons>

Biggest problem for me is some person(s) decided it looked better with a wavy line cut into each side of the bodywork 2 days ago.

I had a Gen 6 GT for 3 years and I have to say the 7 is a much better steering/handling car.

Edited by FlybyWyre

No they aren't, alot of people on here get very defensive and slate the 7 without even a mention of one in said topic (self conscience much) but all said and done they are great cars, ok not the fastest but if speeds your think get a Soarer for £1k like that other topic, a 7 was for a completely different market.

You get what you pay for in terms of problems with anything, not just a 7 but believe it or not even your magical 6's you get what you pay for

There is no such thing as 100% reliable - eventually components on all cars will go wrong.

You were paranoid as hell with your last gt4 so id not get another as i think you will be the same and be scared of problems occuring.

Yes gen 7's are not as well built but they are more modern and mine did handle really well - but it did have Tein coilovers on it.

Just try one - if you dont like it try something else

ive drove a 140 a few times,is there a big diffrence between one of these and say a gt 190? is it quite noticeable?

Totally different beasts mate. :D

As for handling, My first 190 only had Eibach Springs on stock shocks and handled like a dream, im running the same set-up on my Sports-M.

The 7 with the Mac set-up is a much much more agile car than any FF Gen6 maybe apart from the Beams ones with Superstrut - Havent driven of those so cant be sure, BUT when you get a 7 with Superstrut thats not shagged I'm sure it would outhandle those too. :)

Edited by tabbaranx

I take it the GTs going up for sale soon then??

not sure yet,need to have a go in a 190 i think then make up my mind,just dont know if its worth throwing loads of money at mine or not,on one hand i think yer it is cos its in good condition,but then i think the cars done 174k and wear and tear on everything is it a gd idea

As you clearly take car of your 6, a 7 will not give you any problem's, providing that you dont buy tatty one :). As sad as it is to say there is alot of unloved and run down Gen 7's on the road, breaks my heart :(

If you come around the herts area to look at any, and want a second opinion then give me a shout bud :)

Edited by RoryK

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.