Shell V Power fuel

ismith61

Anyone got any views/experience on this... I was talking to a friend last week (he sells cars for a living but I dont hold that against him!) and he was saying that supermarket fuel could actually be bad for engines as they dont have the level of additives that main stream fuels have. So... with wallet in hand I went and got a full tank of Shell V power to see if there was any noticable difference. Is it placebo or wishfull thinking...? I think there is a difference, most of my driving is running around town with the occasional short dual carriagway blast - after half a tank the car seems to pick up smoother so I seem to be using less revs (its only a 140 ) it seems to idle very smoothly and horror of horrors I seem to be getting more mpg - now this could be because it seems to need less revs to get going and I'm not sure the difference would cover an extra 9p a litre but, if its better for the car it may be worth it (my usual was Morrisons at £1.31 as opposed to Shell at £1.39.9)

O[pinions/views anyone ...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

morrisons 99 ron fuel ( higher octane like v power) I tend to it at about 3 tanks to every tank of V -power as the shell v power possibly has more cleaning additives, no idea if thats the case just like to think it does :)

Edited by sh3p

I work in the fuel industry, try to stay clear of supermarket fuel. They negotiate a price around 1p per litre cheaper from the distributor & therefore get an inferior product to your franchise & company owned sites. Shell V-Power is one of the best premium fuels out there for the quality of fuel but it all depends on how its stored. If the tanks are old they are single skinned steel & more often than not have a build up of crap in the bottom which then gets transferred to yours.

If the fuel you put in your car is really important to you then id advise filling up at the newest looking oil company site on your journey. Hope that helps.

EDIT. Forgot to mention about Morrisons, they dont like spending money on their forcourts so alot of them have poor quality tanks & filters. Not saying avoid them at all costs, just something to bear in mind.

Edited by harv_j

For what it's worth, I'm on my 3rd week of using the higher octane petrol in my 140 G7, The first week i mixed it with a 1/4 tank of low octane, so i disregarded that, last week i was as empty as i could be, and filled up (about 95% better stuff)

I must add this was from a Total garage, £1.41 a lt.

Idont know if its just me but the car seems to run smoother and better on the uptake, Ihave no figures to show more miles per lt, but i filled up aday later this week!? or is it just me, i know not. For a few quid extra i have a cleaner engine (so they say) and the driving experience is for me enhanced, Happy :lol: hope this helps.

It completely depends on why you want to use it.

Will it help clean your engine? Yes gradually. A clean engine is a healthy engine and therefore is able to use more of its performance.

Will is give the car more power? Not really. It will free more power up as the engine cleans, please will be more resistant to knock allowing the engine to adjust its timing better. The most gains will be seen in a FI car, but then they ideally need to use it anyway because of this.

Will it give better ecconomy? It depends on how you drive. I have tested V-Power against normal Shell and it does give better mpg as long as you drive the car the same. Again this is all linked the the engine being cleaned.

Got to say shells fuel is good I dnt really use v-power often but notice running changes when I do! I used to use supermarket fuel but since shell brought out fuel save (there regular fuel) I tried it and got a fair few more mpg even though driving the same! And have used only that for the last year in my g7 gt and prob 6 months before that in my s2000 I had before that. It also costs the same as sainsburys in my area win win! Hth :)

pla

ce

bo

it's all bullshit in anything other than a jap import turbo nutter bastard car tuned to the high teeth.

What he said.

I kept a spreadsheet for a year on my 140 fuel consumptiion. Pretty much a consisitent 36mpg no matter what fuel was used. As for all the good the additives do, well in over a million miles of majoring on supermarket swill I am yet to have a fuel related issue with a car.

However if you feel better it's worth the money.

It does make a difference what fuel you use. If you have a higher octane fuel your car will pink knock less and the ECU wont retard the timing so often which will give you a better quality burn so better power and economy Simples... Edited by RichieRich

I remember seeing an article on this where they ran 2 golf gti's 1 on 95ron and 1 on v power mpg remained the same and had same power on rolling road.

They then did the same test on 2 evo's, the 1 running v power had a considerable increase in bhp and much improved mpg.

I myself have found if i run my car on 95ron alone it feels less responsive but have found if i put v power in once a month and run un shell fuel save the rest of the time it feels smoother.

I will not use supermarket fuel, It is S**T :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.