dirty engine bay

My engine bay is filthy especially the front bulk head behind the engine. See Pic

Does any one have any ideas as to how I can clean it up other than to take out the engine. Right now that is not possible. I t will be coming out when I have my 190 conversion ....BUT whilst I'm in the process of saving the finances I would like to clean it up a bit.. HAVING TO CHECK OIL FREQUENTLY MEANS I HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS SIGHT REGULARLY. Any ideas would be appreciated.. What cleaning products would be safe to use in this area???? I would imagine there are wires hoses etc in this area. don't want to cause any issues with my engine. Thanks

post-33831-0-24534000-1314281594_thumb.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you looks good. Any suggestions on how to apply. Cleaning what looks to be a heat mark.. A brush of some kind ?? Wire wool ?? Any thoughts. Thanks again :rolleyes:

Edited by Rudebwoy66

A decent brush.

Autosmart G101 mixed 4:1 (hot water is good!) or any other degreaser.

Autosmart 'Finishing Touch' spray it on, leave it for an hour then wipe off with a microfibre.

This is the best combo I've found.

G101

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOSMART-G101-MULTI-PURPOSE-CLEANER-1LTR-/260834199486?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item3cbaee07be#ht_720wt_905

Decent brush

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Pro-Detailing-Brush-use-outside-Car-/200635249689?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2eb6caf419#ht_500wt_1156

I would add to Sawyers info, use a compound on the bulkhead, gets it nice and shiney and gets rid of stubborn dirt that wont come off with degreaser.

then do everything else Sawyer said.

Honestly mate, its all plastic so i wouldnt use any products on it, just hot soapy water & a really good rinse with a jetwash will have it looking new. Using products like engine degreaser will ruin the finish on the plastic & pick up dirt quicker than it does now.

Honestly mate, its all plastic so i wouldnt use any products on it, just hot soapy water & a really good rinse with a jetwash will have it looking new. Using products like engine degreaser will ruin the finish on the plastic & pick up dirt quicker than it does now.

He also asked about the bulkhead, which just doing what you suggest won't have much effect.

if you dilute the degreaser properly, you will not damage the plastics, after washing them treat them with some dressing product as suggested and all will be fine.

You don't want to blast the engine bay with a jetwash too much as there is actually engine in there :laugh2: just be sensible with it.

If you need more information then head over to detailing world, plenty of guides on cleaning engine bays.

My bay used to be very grubby and dirty. Getting it to the present state has taken a few months but is worth the effort. I just removed anything that could taken out and got into all the little places I could using some old towels and Gunk spray on engine degreaser and wd40 etc to loosen the crap, followed by cutting compound and polish if accesable to do so. Some places are hard to get at and can invlove stretching down into tight gaps this can leave a few battle scars and scratches on arms and hands. Any bits removed are cleaned up and given a coat of paint if poss while they are off. I recently fitted a new rad and spent so much time cleaning up the new found dirty areas that the job took me a day to do!

HelpforHeroes2011218.jpg

My bay used to be very grubby and dirty. Getting it to the present state has taken a few months but is worth the effort. I just removed anything that could taken out and got into all the little places I could using some old towels and Gunk spray on engine degreaser and wd40 etc to loosen the crap, followed by cutting compound and polish if accesable to do so. Some places are hard to get at and can invlove stretching down into tight gaps this can leave a few battle scars and scratches on arms and hands. Any bits removed are cleaned up and given a coat of paint if poss while they are off. I recently fitted a new rad and spent so much time cleaning up the new found dirty areas that the job took me a day to do!

HelpforHeroes2011218.jpg

Spotless m8, credit to ya. :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.