Snake Pass & Cat and Fiddle

Had to drive from Sheffield to Bolton and back today for work.

Snake pass on way there (which I've done many times before) then took opportunity to do Cat and Fiddle and way home. Brilliant hoon, even with the 50mph average speed cameras. Highly recommended if you're out that way.

Unfortunately it looks like I've got to make the same trip next week :D

Done it a couple of times this week in a Merc Vito which is still pretty cool until you catch that wagon up doing 30mph :angry:

Got to say though its good fun in a G5 GT4 :D but 10mpg :o still fun thou :P

Done it a couple of times this week in a Merc Vito which is still pretty cool until you catch that wagon up doing 30mph :angry:

Got to say though its good fun in a G5 GT4 :D but 10mpg :o still fun thou :P

Did catch wagon with 4 or 5 cars following at one point. None of cars leaving space for overtake so pulled into lay-by and waited for a few minutes. Still caught them up again eventually though. Fingers crossed I'll get a clean run at it next week.

Did it about 12 years ago on the bike (before the cameras). Great stretch of road, well worth the journey. 3 of us went there on our bikes - my Triumph T-Bird Sport, my mate's Triumph Speed Triple and another mate on a CBR600.

Lots of bikers killed/injured there in the past, hence the cameras.

Being a biker I've done it both in the car, and on the bike, and can honestly say I enjoyed it more in the car (holding 50mph means ya takin some of them bends at a fair old lick) :) .

Would be a nice place for a meet up one day, but couldn't be a Sunday cos It gets rammed with bikers, would struggle to get more than 4 cars in there.

if you are out and about in this area try this one - Known locally as Torside it's a small "yellow" road, B6105, which takes you off the A628 Woodhead Road (just before Crowden from the Sheffield side) and drops you down into Glossop.No speed camera's on it until you get into the outskirts of Glossop.It's just a short road compared to Woodhead/Snake and unless it's been changed recently,which I doubt, it's got a bit of everything.narrow bits,narrow bits with water,angled level crossing and the aptley named "Devils Elbow".

The road passes between and alongside the reservoirs and is very pleasant in summer . . . in winter at night . . . well that's another story.In either direction it's an "interesting" road but just be careful first time through.Last time I used it, it was to test new brakes and disc's I'd just fitted to an Alfa. . had to stop about 2/3 the way roud as they caught fire!! . . . . :wavey: Enjoy :wavey:

if you are out and about in this area try this one - Known locally as Torside it's a small "yellow" road, B6105, which takes you off the A628 Woodhead Road (just before Crowden from the Sheffield side) and drops you down into Glossop.No speed camera's on it until you get into the outskirts of Glossop.It's just a short road compared to Woodhead/Snake and unless it's been changed recently,which I doubt, it's got a bit of everything.narrow bits,narrow bits with water,angled level crossing and the aptley named "Devils Elbow".

The road passes between and alongside the reservoirs and is very pleasant in summer . . . in winter at night . . . well that's another story.In either direction it's an "interesting" road but just be careful first time through.Last time I used it, it was to test new brakes and disc's I'd just fitted to an Alfa. . had to stop about 2/3 the way roud as they caught fire!! . . . . :wavey: Enjoy :wavey:

Thanks for the tip, will definitely give that a go. Might even do Woodhead Pass and this on the way to Bolton next week.

is this road worth travelling to? cause it sounds amazing from what you guys have said but i live in wolverhampton sooo just wondering if it worth the drive? :)

Search youtube for cat and fiddle, plenty of videos on there.

Maybe not worth the drive up *just* to do that road but if you're ever up that way then well worth a trip.

Additional - feel I should just add the following to my earlier post.

This is 'countryside' so a gentle reminder for everyones benefit regarding

1.Dry Stone walls

2.Sheep

3.Mountain Bikers

4.Walkers ( No . . not crisp packets!)

5.Blind corners

6.Corners on crest of 'hills'

7.Sudden changes in tyre grip - even in good weather the road is still sometimes wet in places due to run off from the surrounding hills and under some of the tree lined narrow bits/dips, more so at the Sheffield end,the road remains damp.

Sorry . . just want to claify that I'm no green freak and realise this a bit boring . . but well worth mentioning.

After your advice I did this road on Tuesday. Great recommendation, no traffic and great fun. Needs full attention though but well worth it. Will be doing it again.

Was on return journey so did Woodhead as well which I've not done in a while. I'd say it is almost as good as snake pass although it does get a bit boring towards the end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.