More damage to celicas....

While she was out the car was parked on a road with nose in spaces, so with the arse hanging out onto the road a bit, someone had swiped the rear pasenger bumper. It has damaged the bumper and the valence. Fortunatly not too much, i have sanded them down and fortunatly they were not to deep. some nice sanding and filler primer later and shes smooth as. I just need to blend in the edges from the earlier priming then go over with the top coat tomorrow, but so far im pretty happy with the results for rattle cans!!!!

Amy was proper pised off when she found it!! so im being the good boy friend and fixing it! Last week end i also fitted her new Facelift lights. and i (we) also have a little something planned for show season!! :D

Progress:

c7139e62.jpg

f15021aa.jpg

c35993d4.jpg

a0059408.jpg

69b90fc8.jpg

Some 1200 grit to blend in the edges, mask it off round the bumper only then go for top coat tomorrow!! :D

Matt.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id rub back that neat line going down the bumper and part into the paint, then prime and blend across cos they line will be a bitch to hide, do the same when spraying it or you will get a visible line, its gonna be a fucker blending it tho cos you can almost guaranty the colour wont be a perfect match, specially if its from halfrauds, their silvers are never good matches

id rub back that neat line going down the bumper and part into the paint, then prime and blend across cos they line will be a bitch to hide, do the same when spraying it or you will get a visible line, its gonna be a fucker blending it tho cos you can almost guaranty the colour wont be a perfect match, specially if its from halfrauds, their silvers are never good matches

Yeah got alot of smoothing and blending to do tomorrow, weather permitting!! We got two cans made up, will se how good a match they are tomorrow!! then try to feather it in, then 2500 grit it in and polish it in. not sure about the clear coat though.

Any help appreciated for blending!!!

And the plan for show season will be her car nothing to do with mine, we had an idea for her front end damage... also on MY to do list!! :rolleyes:

the best tip for blending i can give is start at the left and as you get to the end spray over the end and stop, dont go to made at the end, you just want to do it till it blends, its not gonna be easy, i cant do it for shit lol but thats how i try and do it. if you mess it up, let it dry, rub it down and start again

the best tip for blending i can give is start at the left and as you get to the end spray over the end and stop, dont go to made at the end, you just want to do it till it blends, its not gonna be easy, i cant do it for shit lol but thats how i try and do it. if you mess it up, let it dry, rub it down and start again

Yeah thats sort of the plan, for masking off for top coat im masking the bumper and lights and tailgate then going to sweep the spray from left to inward toward the centre line. then come away from the car as i get to the edge, if you know what i mean??!! then once all the top coat is dry, 2500 grit W&D then polish it all up. or do i do that after clear coating???

yeah dont try and blend from right to left, go from left to right.

cos of the size of the area id give it a rub down between coats, then give it about 3-4 coats of clear and rub downs between if they need it

Was a bit worried about colour match. The first tin was a bit dark, but the second was spot on, so it's had three coats with 1200 grit rub down inbetween. Tried for a forth but run out of paint and got a run on the outer lower fin, balls! So new paint tin tomorrow!! Hopefully match will be just as good, so I can then get a good final top coat.

Then what do I do? Leave it a couple of days and machine polish it, or 3 coats of clear first then polish it later?? Help!!

Progress:

2eba99ad.jpg

36b0bac9.jpg

1a726afd.jpg

5b9d6566.jpg

de947828.jpg

c2484fca.jpg

dfc86128.jpg

Matt

Edited by splinter

Sorry to hear about the damage though... looks like he's done a cracking job of repairing it! :thumbs:

He's a good boy is my Matt :) very impressed with his repair! He must love me as my car's been living on his driveway the last few days while his is out on the road :rolleyes:

Edited by Nurse Amy

Was a bit worried about colour match. The first tin was a bit dark, but the second was spot on, so it's had three coats with 1200 grit rub down inbetween. Tried for a forth but run out of paint and got a run on the outer lower fin, balls! So new paint tin tomorrow!! Hopefully match will be just as good, so I can then get a good final top coat.

Then what do I do? Leave it a couple of days and machine polish it, or 3 coats of clear first then polish it later?? Help!!

Progress:

Matt

Use 1500 lightly I mean literally tickle it across towards the side that needs blending until smooth. Do the same between every coat of lacquer, afterwards if you've got some use 2000 or higher sandpaper, if using 2000 get some g3 or g6 on it, compound till smooth to the touch and then polish the absolute crap out of it. Check after the first coat of lacquer that the colour is a good match and carry on lacquering if it looks good. It should be ok but after that you just need to match the lacquer.

Other things, when feeling if smooth or not, close your eyes. Easier to feel with one sense than two.

Put the cans of lacquer in a hot bucket of water to warm them, this will help adhesion and increase the pressure in the can making it less likely to spit. When you're done with the can if you're going to take a break, hold can upside down and spray to clear the nozzle.

If you get stuck mate give me a shout, think Amy has my number. Sounds like you've got it down though :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.