Retro fitting heated seats

Having recently bought some leather seats for my beloved celica im looking to possibly install some heating elements in them for that added touch of comfort (for my lass obviously :( ) My question is has any one ever done this? do these kits work well?

This is the kit i was looking to invest in, has anyone bought or used this, any good?

http://www.waeco.com/za/4381_651.php

Cheers Dom

Edited by dominic2115

I pretty much built my own heated seats. Not hugely difficult but I think I'd do things differently second time around!

I opted for Mazda RX-8 switches to try and keep a factory feel to the interior. And I imagine my method of installing the heater elements themselves is entirely different to anyone else's...

As you'll have to at least partially remove the leather covers to fit the heaters, I'd recommend a good pair of hog ring pliers. Or, if you don't mind cutting a corner or two, some heavy duty cable ties instead.

My mod thread's in my signature, but there's no pictures or description of my actually installing the heaters.

All you would do is remove your front seats, split them into the separate halves, then remove the hog rings holding the covers on (relevant to how large or small your heater elements are).

Once you can get access to the actual seat cushion, you'd position the element where you want it (making sure it's not going to get overly bent or trapped by anything) and glue it into place (I'd recommend a spray adhesive for this - available at any decent craft shop, or eBay).

Find a nice route for the wiring where, like the elements, it's not going to be trapped or caught when the seat's in normal operation, then pull your covers back into place and secure with new hog rings or sturdy cable ties. Then put the seats back together.

For the switching, I'll assume the kit you'll buy will come with all the cabling, switches and relays required, so find or create a suitable place to mount everything (may involve drilling holes in your dash or centre console, unless you do what I did and buy the panel that sits next to the cigarette lighter with the three blanks for switches). Wire everything up safely, refit your seats and then you should be good to start "toasting your buns", as it were!

Mazda RX-8 switches fitted into Toyota switch panel:

SL371682.jpg

SL371679.jpg

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.