Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
Gravel

:shock: What did Rover make that's as fast as a T-sport?

Question

Last night as I was heading home from work , I pulled up behind a rather un-loved looking N-reggie Rover something. I say something because it was both debagged and moving too fast away from me to actually take a closer look . The first thing I noticed was that the exhaust didn't seem to fit it's bumper properly - amazingly, the pipe seemed too small for the cut in the bumper!

Anyway, the lights changed before I'd come to a complete stop, and it shot off down the dual-carrageway - it wasn't until I'd hit about 7k in 2nd that it stopped getting farther away :shock: So, can any of you fellow trainspotters please help me identify this mystery circa 1996 Rover saloon?

Cheers,

Grav.

24 answers to this question

Guest CvPiper

it is was an Nreg and it left a t sport then its a bubble shape 200 or 400 with a T-Series turbo transplant, engine from the older models, 200 bhp standard and 174 lb/ft. Quite tuneable for 220-240 with boost upgrades and breathing.

I know of 2 400 shape with the transplant and a fair few 200 shape with it.

The engine in 220 hatch and coupe form would propel it to 60 in around 6.5 - 6.7

Just in my territory :thumbs::):)

Rover have made plenty of motas that would kick a 190's arse matey. Celi's may look good but generally they are by no means fast

I didn't say it got away Perry :wink: I'm not kidding myself - I know Celi's aren't Lambos, but then again, it makes a nice change to see something else on the road for less than £25K that'll give a 190 a run for its money.

And I'm old enough to remember those lovely wedgy Rover 3500 V8s - pretty quick, lovely sounding, but in the garage more often than a TVR :roll:

know what you mean matey, I had the 2600 version and it cost me an arm and a leg in repairs. also had a Maestro MG Turbo as a company car and that did shift! ;-)

How about my other motor, did it look anything like this?

current5.jpg

healthily breathed on, certainly shifts :thumbs:

oh, just to add, mine is a 220 turbo, they did do some 420 turbos, which is basicly the above with a boot, that might be what you saw - they did sneak a few N reg ones before going to the new shape :thumbs:

do you get way with no road tax? classic car and all that :-)

also where you live it must be real pain driving all the way to london, just so that you can join all the other chuffers on the run to Brighton :-)

hoho, my sides. Of course you neglect to mention our little run down the M27 post Portsdown Hill meet a few months back :thumbs::)

what about it? you were leading the convoy me old mate, hence we didnt try to overtake (not saying we could have ;-) )

Of course talk is cheap unless you bring your GT4 to europe, unless your scared??????????

I'd beat the pair of you :thumbs:

My 105,000 mile smokescreen and bits of my transmission falling out and slashing your tyres :roll:

That'd be interesting, a 190 v a GT4 RC

think my money would be on the RC

But remember my GT4 is falling apart, well, it was, it should be having it's last bits replaced any day. As it stands, the Rover is still quicker than the GT4 at the minute, but we'll see how it goes :thumbs:

How about my other motor, did it look anything like this?

current5.jpg

healthily breathed on, certainly shifts :)

Well Mook, if you took some 1500 grit sandpaper to it to take off all that lovely shine, removed the spoiler, half removed the door-trim and skuffed up the alloys a bit, I think it'd be a dead ringer :thumbs: As I said, that Rover was quick but unloved looking

Grav.

P.S. My money's on the GT4 beating the 190 :D

I would think a GT4 would piss all over a 190. Both suffer from a slow take-off but when they get going I would expect the GT4 to leave the 190 behind.

Sign in to follow this